How to reverse aging naturally
The need to reverse or slow down aging is important in two regards - to keep ones skin healthy and looking youthful, but more importantly, it can help to extend the lifespan of a human being.
There are a host of products that claim, with or without much validity, to help reverse aging, but the best and a sure way to do it is through natural means.
Below are some ways you can help yourself to reverse the aging process.
Stress is an important factor in people aging quickly because it damages the part of DNA responsible for controlling aging of the cells. Research has shown that people who are chronically stressed because of various factors such as poor health, caring for terminally ill, etc, age much more quickly than people who are much more stress free.
Getting rid of stress
- Regular exercise has been shown to relieve stress because the brain produces endomorphins, which helps to leave the body in a better state of mind and improve its well-being.
- Try and get around 8 hours of sleep everyday. A lot of people suffer stress because of the lack of sleep in their daily routine. If possible, getting a short nap during the day can also help some of the work related stress that is common in most working people.
- Try to find some activities that give you the most enjoyment in life and try and schedule them into your daily routine. It could be anything from playing video games for an hour or two, to taking out a new DVD, playing sports, or anything else for that matter. These help to relieve stress because they have the psychological effect of putting your mind into subconscious of a world without any worries and negative thoughts while participating in the activity. The positive effects it has lasts for hours afterwards too.
- If you care for a terminally ill person, be sure to look after yourself too. If the burden is too big, you can perhaps get help from local public authorities in your area to help in some way. There is plenty of help for carers in Western countries. Also, you can still enjoy yourself while caring for someone by doing some fun activities in the home.
Facial skin damage caused by the sun is a big factor in the process of aging. The problem with this type of aging is that it is cosmetic and its there for everyone to see, there is no hiding it. The face can start developing wrinkles and start discolouring. However, it can be quite easy to avoid exposure to the harmful rays from the sun.
- If you can, avoid going out in the early afternoon when the harmful effects are at its most potent.
- Try and keep in the shade as much as possible when walking while the sun is at its strongest.
- Do not sun tan. Apart from sun damage, you also risk the possibility of getting skin cancer.
Diet plays a great role in the process of aging. It can either expedite the process or help to slow it down. A bad diet high in fats and intoxicating foods can contribute in reducing acidic regulatory elements within the body.
Avoid caffeine, alcohol
These increase toxins in your body. A toxin slows down the body's ability to process water efficiently and of course damaging cells. Some may find it difficult to give up either, so it is recommended that you consume them very moderately.
Calorie restricting diet
A calorie restricting diet while maintaining the optimal calorie intake has been shown to improve the conditioning of the heart and has the potential to increase lifespan significantly. The diet would require cutting out bad fats such saturated fats and having a balanced protein, carbohydrate and fat diet.
The research carried out by scientists at the Washington University School of Medicine and published in Journal of the American College of Cardiology (Vol. 47, Issue 2, pp. 398-402) had also shown blood pressure to be significantly lower in people following a balanced calorie restricting diet.
Vitamins are thought to be a good source of antioxidants that help to neutralise free radicals. These free radicals lead to aging because they damage cells.
Although you can get much of required vitamins from having a healthy diet containing lots of fruit and vegetables, you can supplement that source with a multivitamin pills. However, be careful not to overdose and only take the amount instructed.
High water intake
Make certain that you drink plenty of water every day. Water helps to neutralise acids in the body by eliminating toxins. This helps improve the efficiency of the body in disposing of waste such as urine and perspiration.
Of course, drinking plenty of water will also help to re-hydrate the body.
A regular regimen of aerobic activity and strength training is a great way to slow down aging or help to reverse it as it improves a body's muscle tone that can take “years off” one's appearance.
However, it is not just the cosmetic effects of exercise that should encourage people to schedule regular exercise in their lives, more importantly, biologically, exercise helps to improve the anatomical condition in many ways. Exercise helps to improve a human's lung capacity significantly and helps to strengthen the bones, which reduce the risk of arthritic condition developing.
Women should not be afraid to lift weights
We are talking about relatively light weights here. There is no need to worry about developing “Manly” characteristics, lifting light weights, if anything, is much like a more intense form of aerobic activity. It will only help to firm up and tone the muscles, which of course also help the metabolic state of the body and helps to keep the body trim and lean. This is much more difficult to do with aerobic activity alone.
For older people, gentle aerobic activity is recommended because of the risk of injury doing intense aerobic exercises or weight training.
Smoking adds to harmful toxins in the body. These toxins contribute to damaging cells.