How to find translator jobs
Interpreters play a key role in the modern world of increased levels of immigration between countries, globalisation through modern technology that brings people of the world closer together and greater levels of interaction between people of different languages.
Where do interpreters/translators work?
If you are in a country like the UK or the US then there are plenty of interpreter jobs available. With immigration to these countries from countries all over the world, many of whom speak very little English when they first arrive means there will jobs for interpreters in service like healthcare, education, immigration, etc.
Online translator jobs
However, translator jobs are not just plentiful in the public sector, there are jobs available in the private sector as well as freelance translator jobs required by organizations and individuals.
For example, the growth of websites and the resulting globalisation has created a market for translators working online. Due to the significant world population using the Internet in languages other than English resulted in the need to translate websites into other popular languages in order to fully exploit traffic and increase customers.
Requirements to work as an interpreter
- You need to be well spoken
- Need to be highly confident
- Need to get along with people and enjoy their company
- Need to be understanding with people as you will be dealing with some difficult cases.
- If working in the public sector, the requirements are usually very good to exceptional grasp of two languages – the source language and the target language. For example, if you are planning to work as a Spanish language interpreter to help new immigrants to the US from Latin America then you will need to have excellent spoken and written skills of both languages.
- There are various ways to meet the qualification criteria to work as an interpreter. For example, it might be experience of past work as an interpreter; it might be a qualification in a course related to interpreting; it might be demonstrating high levels of education e.g. a degree to demonstrate that you are well educated, etc.
You may be required to go thorough pre-employment testing/training to see if you meet the required criteria for them to be able to employ you.
Finding interpreting jobs
There are various ways interpreters can find jobs. There are plenty of jobs needing interpreters that can be found in the job advert section of newspapers. Also, jobs for interpreters or translators are advertised in popular online job sites like Monster , Reed and many others. A more refined search might to look for jobs in regional based sites and newspapers.
There are also organisations that you can join that find translator jobs for their members.
Find translator work
If you are seeking at home work interpreter or translator jobs then the best bet is to find freelance translator work.
The best way to find freelance translator work is either look on freelance sites where there are projects for translating websites into other languages are often available. Some good freelance sites are Elance , Project4Hire , RentACoder .
Sometimes you may not always find the translation work on freelance sites. A better way might be to register with popular Webmaster forums and advertise your services there. Webmaster forums are an ideal place to find people wanting translators because there are many people there that are seeking to translate their websites or web pages.